Thursday, May 12, 2016

Back Door Kids

Watch the back door.

Some kids
show themselves
head on...

We know them,
they are the kids
who say our names
three times in a row.
Susie, Susie, Susie.

They are right in
front
of us.

I think the kids
who are
behind us
are the ones
we have to watch.
Carefully, deeply,
before they slip away.

Anita is one of these
back door kids.
Quiet, smiling,
rarely talking.

She has started
hugging me
from behind.

I've thought about
these hugs
the last few days.

She has a hard time
being seen.
But, being seen
is so important
for Anita.

If I didn't pay
close attention
to who was
behind me.

I might have missed her.

Who is your
back door student?
Are you seeing them?

2 comments:

  1. Susie,
    Meeting you on Good2great sent me here to read. I love your style of capturing a moment in a poem/blog post. These students who need us more than we know tug at my heartstrings. Being there and being present to this child made a difference in her life, and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret,
      Thanks you so much for your comments...It is huge to connect to these students and during the craziness of each day, it is sometimes hard to remember.

      Delete